What is Cycle Counting?
Put in simple terms, Cycle Counting is a process of counting of products in a warehouse, eliminating the need to doing a complete inventory count of your warehouse (which normally requires shutting the warehouse for a day or so),
You're also able to verify and keep your inventory accurate constantly, as opposed to once a year.
ShipHero Advantages to Cycle Counting
ShipHero is not the only platform you can cycle count on, however, there are some key optimizations using ShipHero for cycle counting.
- Cycle Counting is mobile. No paper. (We really dislike paper, it's not reliable and bad for the environment).
- The number of items to count is a clear goal for each week.
- Know how many times products have been cycle counted, or not.
- Cycle counting prioritizes the highest risk products to be counted first.
- At any time, any product can be set for cycle count, simply click a button for any given product.
How Cycle Counting Works
Using ShipHero, you can specify how often you want to count your inventory. The higher the frequency, the more times you're counting inventory (captain obvious perhaps).
Define Cycle Count Time
You can determine the number of times you want to count inventory by specifying how many weeks you want a cycle count to last. (see the Configuring Cycle Counting guide below). ShipHero will divide the number of eligible products in your inventory over the number of weeks you specify.
ShipHero Mobile App
Once enabled and configured, Cycle Counting is accomplished by using the available ShipHero mobile app.
Enabling Cycling Counting
Cycle Counting is not enabled by default. Here's how to enable Cycle Counting.
- Using the top menu, click Inventory, then click Cycle Counting
- Click the Yes, enable cycle count button
- Cycle Counting is now available to use
Note: Cycle Counting is not currently available for customers that are using optional Dynamic Slotting for product location management. By default, ShipHero uses Static Slotting. Learn more about Slotting
Configuring Cycle Counting
Once Cycle Counting is enabled, you can now specify how many weeks a cycle count will last. For example, if you want to count your inventory twice a year, you would specify 26 weeks.
Tip: ShipHero will divide the total number of eligible products in your inventory over the number of weeks you specify.
- Specify the number of weeks for cycle count to run.
- Decide if you want to include or exclude products that have no Bin Location.
- Click Save Cycle Count Settings
Using Cycle Counting
Now that you have enabled and configured Cycle Counting, your team can start to cycle count inventory.
- Using the ShipHero iPad app, tap the menu, and tap cycle count
- A list of eligible products that need to be cycle counted is displayed.
- Select a product, confirm the count. Tap Confirm (or cancel if you don't want to update count).
- Continue onto the next product.
Tip: Products are removed from the cycle count list as they are updated.
Knowing Number of Remaining Products to Cycle Count
You can view the number of remaining products that need to be counted for the current week directly in the dashboard by viewing the cycle count module.
Excluding Products from Cycle Count
You can exclude products from Cycle Count by marking the product option
Do Not Cycle Count
You can do this by editing a single product, or for multiple products via Bulk Edit.
Not started using ShipHero yet? You can go ahead and get started now.
If you just want to learn more about how ShipHero may be able to help solve your challenges, you can schedule a free call with our solutions team.