Creating a Shopify Private App
All About Throttling
ShipHero communicates with the Shopify API to keep orders and products in sync. Like all web based APIs, Shopify API requests are throttled to make sure the API is not overwhelmed.
Am I Being Throttled?
Typically, most customers do not exceed Shopify API Throttle limits, however, if you're processing many thousands of orders, or have updated thousands of SKUs then you may potentially run into throttling issues.
Tip: If you have orders that don't appear in ShipHero, then this may be a sign of a throttling limitation. The ShipHero team will reach out to customers that may be hitting a throttle limit. If you think you are running into this issue, please reach out to ShipHero support.
The Solution: Create a Private App
While this will require a bit more effort, customers who are dealing with throttling limitations can get around this issue by creating a private app. This private app provides a greater API throttle limit, which Shopify manages.
Next Step for Creating a Private App
You will need to create some credentials in your Shopify account, and then provide these credentials to the ShipHero team who will connect your account.
These instructions are:
Generate credentials from the Shopify admin
Before you can authenticate a private app to Shopify, you need to generate the required credentials from the Shopify admin of the store that you want to connect with your app.
To generate the required credentials:
- From your Shopify admin, click Apps.
- Click Manage private apps.
- Click Generate API credentials.
- In the Description section, enter a Private app name.
- In the Permissions section, select the areas of your store that you want the app to be able to access (refer to Access Required by ShipHero below)
- When you're done, click Save. The API key and password for your app are now displayed on screen.
- Once you have created your private app, contact ShipHero support by using chat or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, a solutions engineer will assist in setting up the private app connection.
- Once the connection has been completed, you can request a throttle limit increase directly with Shopify should you need it.
Access Required by ShipHero
Read & Write Access
- Orders, transactions and fulfillments
- Products, variants and collections
- Fulfillment Services
- Product information
Treat the API key and password like you would any other password, since whoever has access to these credentials has full API access to the store.
After you have the required credentials, the private app can access your store's data.
To connect your Private App, please contact email@example.com with your private app details.